Puppet Enterprise 2017.1 Released
March 15, 2017

Puppet released Puppet Enterprise 2017.1, with improved data management capabilities that help customers scale Puppet technology across teams and environments.

The release of Hiera 5 as part of PE 2017.1 makes day-to-day usage more efficient and understandable, as well as easier to extend when necessary. Hiera 5 eliminates the need for complex computational logic in describing infrastructure, so you can write cleaner, more maintainable Puppet code.

Highlights of PE 2017.1 include:

- Improved debugability of configuration data

- Support for per-environment data hierarchies

- Simplified construction of hierarchy rules

Ease and ability to separate configuration data from your configuration code

Greater efficiency in looking up data, so you should see significant performance improvements

The Latest

June 28, 2017

Why Agile? DEVOPSdigest asked the experts for their opinions on what are the most important advantages of being Agile. Part 5, the final installment, covers how Agile improves product quality and the customer experience ...

June 26, 2017

Why Agile? DEVOPSdigest asked the experts for their opinions on what are the most important advantages of being Agile. Part 4 covers how Agile impacts team productivity ...

June 23, 2017

Why Agile? DEVOPSdigest asked the experts for their opinions on what are the most important advantages of being Agile. Part 3 covers how Agile enables you to grow and adapt to change ...

June 21, 2017

Why Agile? DEVOPSdigest asked the experts for their opinions on what are the most important advantages of being Agile. Part 2 is all about speed ...

June 19, 2017

Earlier this year, DEVOPSdigest featured a list of expert opinions on the essential steps to become agile. Now that we have an idea on how to achieve agility, however, we have to consider why. What's the payoff? With this question in mind, DEVOPSdigest asked the experts — including analysts, consultants and vendors — for their opinions on what are the most important advantages of being Agile ...

June 15, 2017

In the development community, creating additional efficiency through improved collaboration has been prevalent for some time. But despite the head start on the rest of the corporate world when it comes to collaboration, many organizations function today as they did 15-20 years ago. Since time is money in the tech world, outdated collaboration is a huge missed opportunity ...

June 14, 2017

Given the efforts we put in these days to deconstructing monolithic applications, and using distributed microservices to make us more agile, the potential for app performance to take a nosedive because of unseen (and unanticipated) network congestion and outages is only getting greater. There is help at hand, though, in the form of new ways to program network awareness directly into your code ...

June 12, 2017

What if you discover a fatal error or an exploit in your app? What if your app is down during a crucial time? As a developer, how you react to a crisis can mean the difference between minor blip and an embarrassing or costly company blunder. Here's a crisis management plan to get things right when they go wrong ...

June 08, 2017

Recently, the results from SmartBear Software's annual survey, the State of Code Review 2017: Trends & Insights into Dev Collaboration were released. One point I found interesting is that it suggests only 66 percent of organizations can get releases out on time. Why are the other 34 percent struggling to get releases out the door? ...

June 06, 2017

Today's app development landscape is competitive and expensive. Thousands of apps are released each month, and user acquisition and retention are costing app developers millions. User abandonment is one of the main battles of every app developer — as every lost user means another wasted investment ...

Share this